Tuesday 9 February 2016

How I encountered sexual harassment from Raian Karanjawala at his law-firm as a young lawyer

I worked in Mr Raian Karanjawala'a law firm from 1995 until around 1999/ 2000. I was doing very well there professionally. In around 1998/ 1999 I was handling Lufthansa as a client of the firm. A criminal court in Kolkata issued summons to some senior executives from Lufthansa's head office in Germany. I was handling this case and in connection with the court hearings, travelled to Kolkatta frequently. On some of these trips, I was accompanied by Mr Raian Karanjawala. On one such trip, I was part of Mr Karanjawala's group of friends having a late night dinner and after dinner coffee/ drinks at the Chinese restaurant in the Taj Bengal. The group including me was drinking red wine. The group dispersed at around 1 or 2 am and I walked back to my room with Mr Karanjawala who was headed to his room. When I reached her room, Mr Karanjawala casually asked me if I wanted to join him for a night-cap. I was drunk and was also very tired and sleepy. I therefore replied without any thought that i wanted to sleep and therefore would not join Mr Karanjawala. The next day, I felt a bit awkward but soon forgot about this episode. I did not give further thought to the incident. After this incident, my assignments at Karanjawala & company started to get curtailed. I did not initially connect this with the incident at the Taj Bengal. I started to face other impediments to my work at Karanjawala & Co. Mr Raian Karanjawala misled me that my position was being challenged by other colleagues like Ms Nandini Gore and Ms Ruby Ahuja. I eventually decided to move on from this law firm but at that time I did not connect all of this with the Taj Bengal incident and continued to think of Mr Raian Karanjawala as my well-wisher. (There was strong gossip at Karanjawala & Co about an intimate relationship between Mr Raian Karanjawala and another lawyer, Ms Nandini Gore. This gossip extended to the extent of claiming that Ms Nandini Gore's son was actually Mr Raian Karanjawala's son.)

No comments:

Post a Comment